As a former member of the American Tarot Association, I subscribe to the following code of ethics:
- I will serve the best interests of my clients, conducting my professional activities without causing or intending to cause harm.
- I will treat all my clients with equal respect, regardless of their origin, race, religion, gender, age, or sexual preference.
- I will represent honestly my Tarot qualifications, including educational credentials and levels of certification.
- I will keep confidential the names of clients and all information shared or discussed during readings, unless otherwise requested by the client or required by a court of law.
- I will recommend clients consult a licensed professional for advice of a legal, financial, medical, or psychological nature that I am not qualified to provide. If trained in one of these areas, I will clearly differentiate between the tarot reading and any professional advice additionally provided.
- I will respect my clients’ right to refuse or terminate their reading at any time, regardless of prior consent.
- I recognize that all ATA members have the same rights and obligations, and I will always respect and honor my co-members.
I also subscribe to the following personal code of ethics:
- I will not perform a reading for anyone under the age of 13 unless their parent is present at the time of the reading. Under no circumstances will I perform a distance reading (e.g. via email or instant message) for anyone under the age of 13.
- I will not perform a reading that is specifically about a third party without the express consent of that person. Even with consent, I reserve the right to refuse such a reading.
- I do not use Tarot cards as a fortune telling device. Instead, I use them as a tool to help my clients understand their lives and gain insight into the situation in question.
- I will interpret the reading to be best of my ability, and admit freely when I am unable to do so. I will tell the truth of what I see, and will respect the wishes of a client who does not want to hear everything I have to say.
- I will answer questions about the reading to the best of my ability.
- I will never refer my clients to another professional Tarot reader or spiritual healer in anticipation of acquiring kickbacks or other compensation. If a client asks for a referral, I will do my best to help.
- I will always strive to better my skills so that I may serve my clients to the best of my ability.
- I will strive to remind my clients that they are ultimately the only ones responsible for what happens in their life, and that they should act according to their own conscience. The Tarot is not meant to dictate how one lives one’s life.